Adult Volunteer Program
We have over 140 volunteers who contribute their time to our patients and staff. Volunteers work in all areas of the hospital, so there are varied opportunities to contribute. Once your application is processed, Volunteer Services will work closely with you to ensure that your service to the community is a rewarding commitment based on your schedule and interests. Typically, volunteers make a commitment of at least one shift at the same time each week. In addition to special work in various departments, major areas of volunteering include:
- Same Day Surgery: Assist staff in greeting patients and families and giving directions. Keep waiting family and friends informed about the patient’s progress and relay messages from physicians to a patient’s family.
- Gift Shop: Greet customers and offer assistance in finding items, operate the cash register, keep displays neat and attractive, answer the telephone, and take gift orders.
- Information/Escort Desk/Ambassadors: Provide visitors with directions and general information, escort patients and families as needed, deliver cards, flowers, and specimens to lab.
- Office Support: Assist with a variety of responsibilities, including collating patient chart materials, filing, working with computers, and answering the telephone.
- Leadership Opportunities: For volunteers displaying leadership ability, serve on the volunteer council, which helps oversee numerous volunteer services and fundraising projects, including the Volunteer Scholarship Program.
Application and Requirements
To be considered for our Adult Volunteer Program, applicants must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Complete and submit an application
- Be approved for service by the Volunteer Coordinator
- Complete a mandatory orientation
- Complete infection control/safety training
- Complete Employee Health requirements, including a two-part TB skin test prior to service and drug screening
- Comply with hospital and departmental policies, rules, and code of ethics
- Wear approved uniform and picture ID when on duty
- Be in good standing in the community (reference/background checks)
- Read and sign a confidentiality statement
- Complete additional training for certain positions
- Comply with refresher orientation requirements
For more information or for questions about the adult volunteer program, please contact Farrah Nguyen, Volunteer Coordinator, at 919-938-7117 or Farrah.Nguyen@unchealth.unc.edu.
Volunteers at Johnston Health sponsor several fundraisers each year, such as jewelry sales and book sales. They donate the contributions to help develop new programs and to purchase equipment for the benefit of Johnston Health’s patients and families, and also to fund the Volunteer Scholarship Program. These fundraisers are coordinated through the appointed fundraising coordinator of the volunteer council. The Gift Shop is also a fundraising enterprise managed by hospital volunteers.