Patient & Family Advisory Council
Share your insights to help Johnston Health improve care for people like you. Apply to the Patient and Family Advisory Council (PFAC) to help us better understand the patient experience and improve patient outcomes.
As a Patient and Family Advisor, you may participate in committees, focus groups, and patient panels. Expect to:
- Discuss your personal experiences and viewpoints to help staff develop and evaluate programs, services, and policies
- Remain compassionate, objective, and constructive when sharing thoughts and opinions, understanding that each person’s experience differs
- Respect the privacy of patients and family members
- Comply with all infection control and confidentiality policies
- Visit patients to hear and see any barriers to an excellent patient experience, and bring your knowledge back to the PFAC
Talk to us about opportunities that fit your goals, skills, and availability. Full council membership involves a two-year commitment and monthly meetings.
Support & Supervision
You’ll work most closely with Johnston Health’s patient experience specialist. Other staff and medical providers will supervise activities as needed. Take advantage of opportunities to give feedback on the PFAC program regularly.
Apply to the PFAC if you’re at least 18 and a Johnston Health:
- Current or former patient
- Family member of a current or former patient
You’ll make the most impact if you:
- Communicate well in groups
- Have passion for enhancing health care
- Share insights and information in a constructive way
- Show concern for more than one issue
- Think beyond your own experience
- Work well with others
Advisors’ feedback has inspired Johnston Health to work to improve wayfinding throughout our facilities. The council also launched an annual mum sale and a strawberry sale to benefit the Patient Assistance Fund. As part of PFAC, you’ll influence the direction of future projects.
If you meet the above criteria, download and fill out the PFAC application [PDF]. Return it in the way that’s most convenient for you:
- Fax it to 919-934-0371
- Mail it to:
Patient Experience Specialist
509 N. Bright Leaf Blvd.
Smithfield, NC 27577
Interview & Orientation
After receiving your application, our patient experience specialist will contact you to schedule an interview. If accepted to the council, you’ll attend an eight-hour orientation session.