Job Shadow Program
Gain firsthand exposure to a medical profession in Johnston Health’s job shadow program. You’ll enjoy opportunities to watch medical professionals and support staff in action, ask questions, and learn whether a career in health care is right for you.
Do I Qualify?
You’re eligible for the job shadow program if you:
- Are not enrolled in a formal clinical training program
- Are a high school student attending school in Johnston County or college student (preference is given to Johnston County residents)
- Have a teacher’s or advisor’s recommendation
Shadow a Johnston Health employee in your area of interest for all or part of an eight-hour workday at one of our locations in Clayton or Smithfield. You’ll observe many of the employee’s daily tasks, but you cannot do any part of the job. Expect a brief orientation about confidentiality, patient privacy, Johnston Health emergency protocol, and other information.
Professionals You Can Shadow
Choose to shadow a Johnston Health:
- Cardiopulmonary technologist
- Medical lab technologist
- Medical records or medical billing employee
- Occupational therapist
- Physical therapist
- Radiologic technologist
- Respiratory technologist
- Speech therapist
If you’d like to shadow another type of medical professional, ask us about the possibility of additional opportunities. To protect patients, only certain clinical areas can accept student observers.