Choose UNC Health Johnston for sensitive, high-quality surgical care of women’s reproductive organs. A gynecologic surgeon may treat you in our hospitals after meeting with you at a OB-GYN clinic.
Count on the UNC Health Johnston surgical team for complete care and support during procedures such as:
- Dilation and curettage (D&C) – Opens the cervix to remove tissue from the lining of the uterus after a miscarriage or heavy periods (menorrhagia)
- Endometrial ablation of uterine lining – Treats abnormal uterine bleeding
- Endometriosis resection – Removes uterine tissue that grows outside the womb
- Hysterectomy – Removes the uterus to treat conditions such as endometriosis, uterine fibroids, or heavy menstruation
- Ovarian cyst removal – Takes fluid-filled pouches off of an ovary if they cause problems
- Pelvic organ prolapse repair (sacrocolpopexy) – Treats pain or incontinence due to a uterus, bladder, or rectum that slipped out of place
- Tubal ligation – “Ties” your fallopian tubes to permanently prevent pregnancy
- Uterine fibroid removal (myomectomy) – Takes painful lumps out of the uterus
Minimally Invasive Surgery
Ask if your surgeon will use UNC Health Johnston’s da Vinci surgical robot to perform your procedure in the most precise, least invasive way. Minimally invasive robotic surgery uses only a few tiny incisions rather than one large incision. That means you may recover faster and with less pain or scarring.