Get complete lab testing services from caring, experienced technicians at UNC Health Johnston. Choose the outpatient labs in our Clayton and Smithfield hospitals for your test, even if you’re not yet a UNC Health Johnston patient. You’ll enjoy the convenience of our extended evening hours.
Why Do I Need Lab Services?
Your doctor may recommend lab services to test your blood, saliva, or other fluids or tissue to:
- Check on your health
- Diagnose an illness
- Measure how well treatment is working
- Screen for chemicals or substance use
Preparing for Your Test
If your doctor or employer orders a lab test, you’ll get preparation instructions that may cover:
- Avoiding certain activities before the test
- Eating and drinking
- Taking medications
Types of Lab Tests
UNC Health Johnston labs provide these types of tests:
- Chemistry – Checks the levels of chemicals or substances in your body
- Hematology – Studies the makeup of your blood
- Histology – Examines all or part of certain tissue
- Immunology – Focuses on the body’s ability to fight and prevent infection
- Microbiology – Checks for bacteria, viruses, fungi, or parasites that can cause infection
- Pathology – Studies diseases in your body, including blood, tissue, or organs
Getting Your Test Results
Expect a phone call to review your test results, which are often available within 24 hours. If you’re signed up for My UNC Chart, you’ll also have access to a secure, easy-to-read electronic record of your test.
Accredited Lab & Technicians
Certified technicians perform tests in our lab, which is accredited by the College of American Pathologists. This means you have access to complete, high-quality testing services that you and your doctor can trust.
This focus on excellence leads patients to consistently give us positive feedback and high satisfaction scores on their experience.