Get complete lab testing services from caring, experienced technicians at Johnston Health. Choose the outpatient labs in our Clayton and Smithfield hospitals for your test, even if you’re not yet a Johnston Health patient. You’ll enjoy the convenience of our extended evening hours.
Why Do I Need Lab Services?
Your doctor may recommend lab services to test your blood, saliva, or other fluids or tissue to:
- Check on your health
- Diagnose an illness
- Measure how well treatment is working
- Screen for chemicals or substance use
Preparing for Your Test
If your doctor or employer orders a lab test, you’ll get preparation instructions that may cover:
- Avoiding certain activities before the test
- Eating and drinking
- Taking medications
Types of Lab Tests
Johnston Health labs provide these types of tests:
- Chemistry – Checks the levels of chemicals or substances in your body
- Hematology – Studies the makeup of your blood
- Histology – Examines all or part of certain tissue
- Immunology – Focuses on the body’s ability to fight and prevent infection
- Microbiology – Checks for bacteria, viruses, fungi, or parasites that can cause infection
- Pathology – Studies diseases in your body, including blood, tissue, or organs
Getting Your Test Results
Expect a phone call to review your test results, which are often available within 24 hours. If you’re signed up for My UNC Chart, you’ll also have access to a secure, easy-to-read electronic record of your test.
Accredited Lab & Technicians
Certified technicians perform tests in our lab, which is accredited by the College of American Pathologists. This means you have access to complete, high-quality testing services that you and your doctor can trust.
This focus on excellence leads patients to consistently give us positive feedback and high satisfaction scores on their experience.