If your procedure at Johnston Health in Smithfield uses interventional radiology, you’ll recover as quickly as possible. This type of minimally invasive care uses imaging technology—rather than large incisions—to help doctors see inside your body and guide their tiny medical tools.
Treatments & Tests
You may be able to go home the same day you receive any of these procedures that use interventional radiology:
- Ablation – Heats or freezes problematic tissue to destroy it
- Embolization – Blocks blood flow to tumors to shrink them
- Needle biopsy, including breast biopsy – Takes a tiny sample of tissue for testing in a lab
- Shunt placement – Drains excess fluid in certain areas of the body
- Steroid injection – Delivers pain-relieving medications to part of the body
- Thrombolysis – Dissolves blood clots to restore blood flow
- Vascular access procedure – Places a tiny tube in a blood vessel to allow for long-term intravenous (IV) therapy or dialysis
- Vascular stenting – Places a tiny tube in a clogged blood vessel to keep it open
Some interventional procedures use fluoroscopy—video X-ray—to see the inside of your body during a test or treatment.
Your care team will give you instructions on how to get ready for your procedure. Follow the instructions to make your treatment or test go smoothly.