Take part in a specialized program at Johnston Health to improve the strength of your heart and lungs. You’ll find help to enjoy a better quality of life with more energy for the activities you enjoy.
What is Cardiopulmonary Rehab?
Your doctor may recommend cardiopulmonary rehab if you have a condition or a procedure that affects your heart and/or lungs. Partner with qualified medical professionals to meet goals such as:
- Decreasing shortness of breath during activities
- Improving blood pressure, blood sugar, and cholesterol levels
- Increasing strength and mobility
- Lowering stress levels
- Making it easier and more fun to exercise
- Preventing future health problems
- Reaching and maintaining a healthy weight
Learn more about the physical, mental, emotional, and social benefits of cardiopulmonary rehab.
Expect a well-rounded program that follows the latest guidelines for safety and effectiveness. Johnston Health’s Cardiopulmonary Rehab program holds national certification from the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR).
Who Qualifies for Cardiopulmonary Rehab?
Find expert care to improve your health and quality of life after:
- Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency
- Chronic bronchitis
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery
- Heart attack
- Heart or lung transplant
- Heart valve surgery
- Interstitial lung disease
- Pulmonary fibrosis
- Restrictive lung disease
- Stent placement
What to Expect
Rely on your cardiopulmonary rehab care team to listen to your concerns, answer questions and offer support every step of the way.
Your First Appointment
At your first session, you’ll receive a medical evaluation. This includes a six-minute walk test, a review of your health history, and discussion of your personal goals. The assessment helps us develop your individualized program based on your current health status. Your progress will be monitored throughout the program.
How Long Does the Program Last?
Cardiopulmonary rehab takes place every Monday, Wednesday and Friday for up to 36 sessions. Each session lasts one hour. You’ll reach your goals and return to your normal activities sooner if you attend every session.
Services are designed to help you meet your personal goals. Benefit from:
- Education and counseling to help you understand your condition and how to manage it
- Nutrition counseling to create a healthy meal plan
- Organized exercise sessions during which we’ll monitor your heart rate, blood pressure, and other vital signs for your safety
- Personalized physical activity program
- Training and support to return to work or your normal activities
- You may also receive a referral to a counselor who can help you cope with stress, anger, depression, or other concerns during your recovery.
Read Success Stories
Explore firsthand accounts from your neighbors throughout the area who credit cardiopulmonary rehab for their happier, healthier lifestyles.
Your Rehab Team
Find strength and support from a multidisciplinary team of specialists. Your team may include:
- Clinical dietitian
- Exercise physiologist
- Exercise specialist
- Medical director
- Registered nurse
- Respiratory therapist
Paying for Cardiopulmonary Rehab
Ask your health insurance provider about your plan’s coverage and required copays for cardiopulmonary rehab. If your insurance does not cover the program, you may qualify for financial assistance.
Maintain Your Progress
Prevent future health problems when you apply the tools you learn in cardiopulmonary rehab to your daily life. Join HealthQuest Fitness & Wellness Center for help staying well after rehabilitation.