Chief Executive Officer
Tommy Williams served as interim CEO at Johnston Health for five months before being named to the permanent position in May, 2020. Before coming aboard, he was a long-time leader at UNC REX Healthcare in Raleigh, most recently as the vice president of Ambulatory and Support Services and oversight of the construction of the community hospital in Holly Springs.
Vice President, Chief Financial Officer
Eddie Klein has been the chief financial officer at Johnston Health since June 2011. Also, he oversees the areas of case management, medical records and information technology. He and his wife, Debbie, live in Clayton.
Chief Operating Officer, Chief Nursing Officer
Starting in 2008, Ruth Marler was the chief operating officer and chief nursing officer for six years at Johnston Health. In 2015, she accepted the operations and nursing oversight, as well, for Johnston Health Clayton. Since the opening of a three-story wing in 2015, the former outpatient center and free-standing emergency department have become a full-service hospital. She and her, husband, Jimmy live in Pine Level.
Vice President, Marketing/Communications and Strategy
April Culver began working for Johnston Health in 2001 and became a vice president in 2004. As vice president of marketing/communications and strategy, she is responsible for all internal and external communications and marketing activities to support Johnston Health. She advocates for the health care system on the local, state and federal levels, and coordinates all planning activities for the organization, including Certificate of Need approvals. In addition, she oversees spiritual care and volunteer services, the Early Learning Center and the Johnston Health Foundation. She and her husband, Chad, and daughter, Ava, live in Smithfield.
Vice President, Support Services
Kyle McDermott joined the organization in 1983. In his role as vice president of support services, he is responsible for construction, resource management, engineering and security as well as the contracts for food and environmental services. He is the Administrator of Johnston Health Clayton, and is also active in the work of the Johnston Health Foundation, which he organized in 1992. He and his wife, Irene, live in Clayton.
Rodney McCaskill, MD
Chief Medical Officer
Dr. Rodney McCaskill is the Chief Medical Officer at Johnston Health. He is a member of Wake Emergency Physicians, which provides care in the emergency departments at both campuses. Outside of the hospital, he is the assistant director of Johnston County EMS. He is a graduate of East Carolina University and the Brody School of Medicine. He completed his residency in emergency medicine at the University of North Carolina.
Administrative Director, Human Resources
Robert Cupp is administrative director of human resources at Johnston Health. His background includes 20 years of clinical nursing practice, nursing management, and human resources management. He is a Master's prepared Registered Nurse and board certified as a Nurse Executive. In his role, he is responsible for all human resources operations and employee health. He and his wife, Elisa, live in Sims, NC.
Johnston Health Medical Executive Committee (MEC)
- Octavio Cieza, M.D., Chief
- James B. Collins III, M.D., Vice Chief
- Kevin Johnson, M.D., MEC at Large
- Sanjay Singareddy, M.D., Chair of Medicine
- Lucas Romine, M.D., Chair of Surgery
- Hasan Baloch, M.D.- Chair of Hospital Services
- Rick Alioto, M.D.- Immediate Past President
- Kristal Keys, M.D., Chair of Credentials Committee & MEC at Large
Johnston Health Medical Directors
- John Adams, M.D.- Hospitalists
- Drennan Smith, M.D.- Laboratory
- Ben Atkeson, M.D.- Cardiology
- Russell Anderson, M.D.- Oncology
- Thomas Powell, M.D.- Vascular Lab
- Leon Adelman, M.D.- Emergency Services
- Frank Sutton, M.D.- Anesthesia Director
- Jodi Bailey, M.D.- Women's Services
- Jeff Jones, M.D.- Radiology Services
- Mir Mumtaz Ali, M.D.- Respiratory Services
- Edwin Hartman, M.D.- Cardiac Rehab
- Matthew Hook, M.D.- Cath Lab
- James B. Collins, M.D.- Wound Center
- Dennis Koffer, M.D.- Hospice