Behavioral Health Services
Where there's help, there's hope.
Johnston Medical Center-Smithfield's Behavioral Health Services (BHS) inpatient unit is a psychiatric treatment unit for adults, committed to helping patients and their families through a difficult, emotional time. We provide expert adult psychiatric care from a dedicated team of professionals in a gentle, caring environment.
Behavioral Health Services offers individualized treatment through a full range of psychiatric services using a team approach within a framework of education, comprehensive treatment and support to meet the following goals:
- To provide quality service based upon current acceptable practice standards
- To employ competent, pleasant, caring staff who function as a team
- To stabilize and return a patient home as quickly as possible and help the patient function as independently and safely as possible
- To reduce the likelihood of future hospitalizations or relapses through education and increased self-awareness
Admissions and Treatment Process
The Behavioral Health Services inpatient unit provides admission, around the clock observation and acute care treatment services to adults with psychiatric illnesses and detoxification for substance abusers. Patients seeking admission to the inpatient unit must have medical clearance by a personal physician or through the Johnston Medical Center-Smithfield Emergency Department.
Treatment begins with a physician assessment, followed by an intake evaluation and a nursing assessment. Assignments for treatment are then made according to the type of care required and the specific skills of staff members. Under the direction of a psychiatrist, an interdisciplinary team of mental health professionals assess the patient's needs. Psychiatric nurses, social workers, and activity therapists work together to develop an individual treatment plan while involving the patient throughout the process.
Patients stay as long as necessary in order to meet the treatment goals. Follow-up upon discharge may be by an outpatient mental health facility or by a provider of the patient's choice. Referrals are made to community resources as appropriate.
To educate and increase awareness of illness dynamics, we discuss medication issues, identify coping mechanisms and assist in conflict resolution.
BHS offers the following medical services:
- Consults arranged as needed; speech therapy, occupational therapy, etc. to ensure patient's medical well being
- Counseling: group, individual, family and couples
- Activity therapy including arts and crafts, plus daily recreational activities to increase interaction and improve social skills
Spiritual care provides a weekly group and Sunday worship services.
Each patient has the right to expect absolute privacy regarding hospitalization. No one will be given information about the patient without the patient's permission. Personal health information will be guarded carefully according to law.
Most insurance is accepted, including Medicare and Medicaid.
In general, it is a good idea to inquire in advance if the patient wishes to see a particular visitor. Visitors must be age 18 or older.
Monday through Friday
7:30 p.m. till 8:30 p.m.
Weekends and holidays
3:30 p.m. till 4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. till 8:30 p.m.
Johnston Medical Center-Smithfield
Behavioral Health Services
509 Bright Leaf Blvd.
Smithfield, NC 2757